There are four different styles of communication. They are
- Clear and Direct – the objective of communication is stated directly and with honesty to the person it is intended for.
- Clear and Indirect – The objective of the communication is stated clearly but not to the person it is intended for.
- Masked and Direct – A camouflaged message is given to the recipient.
- Masked and I direct – A Vague and general statement is communicated towards no one in particular.
what is you style?
Communication states – The manner in which the above styles are used forms the state of communication.
The four communication states are –
- Assertive – “I’m ok, you’re OK”. standing up for one’s rights without violating the other person’s rights.
- Aggressive – “I’m ok. You are not”. Standing up for one’s right in a way that may violate another person’s rights
- Passive – “You are Ok. I’m not”.Timid an Shy. Easy for someone to brush your request aside.
- Passive – Aggressive – “You’re not ok. But I will let you think that I think you are ok” False praise, sarcasm, teasing.
When you combine the styles of communication with the state of communication, you can get an idea of the verbal and non-verbal messages communicated by different individuals.
What is your communication style and state?